Topic– Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships
6) What do you understand by an ethical theory. What are the questions that ethical theories seek to understand or explain. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the meaning and scope of an ethical theory. It then wants us to write in detail as to what are the questions that an ethical theory seeks to explain/ understand.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Write a simple definition of an ethical theory. E.g An ethical theory is a philosophical theory that seeks to understand, explain and guide us in making moral judgements. It does not report or describe moral beliefs of any culture, group or individual etc.
Discuss what are the questions that an ethical theory seeks to explain. E.g discuss in points the questions of;
- The very nature or status of morality.
- The nature and meaning of moral judgements.
- The fundamental rules, principles and values justifying moral judgements.
- More particular moral beliefs and practices.
Mention that meta-ethics deals with first two questions, while the third question is dealt by general normative ethics and the last question by applied/ practical ethics.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.