Topic– ; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance;
7) Discuss some practical mechanisms for setting and institutionalising high standards of ethical conduct, integrity and good governance in public services. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to simply bring out in detail, as to what mechanisms can be put in place to ensure ethical behaviour and good governance in public services.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the need for improved governance and ethics and integrity in public services.
Discuss in detail about the mechanisms for setting and institutionalising high standards of ethical conduct, integrity and good governance in public services. E.g
- Anticipating specific threats to ethics standards and integrity in the public sector.
- effective laws which require civil servants to give reasons for their official decisions, (for example: a Freedom of Information law);
- management approaches which encourage all public officials and civil servants to deal positively with corruption and unethical practice when they encounter it.
- ‘whistleblower’ protection law to protect appropriate ‘public interest disclosures’ of wrongdoing by officials;
- ethics audits to identify risks to the integrity of the most important processes (for example financial management, tendering, recruitment and promotion, dismissal
- new Human Resource Management strategies (which link, for example, ethical performance with entry and advancement, and ethical ‘under-performance’ with disciplinary processes), merit based promotion and recruitment, anti discrimination protections;
- training and development in the content and rationale of Ethics Codes, the application of ethical management principles, the proper use of official power, and the requirements of professional responsibility, and
- effective external and internal complaint and redress procedures etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.