Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic – Issue related to development of social sector services including health.
5) Discuss the challenges that lie ahead for India as it embarks on a mission to end TB by 2025?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the two major health reforms that India has embarked upon and the challenges that lie ahead for India as it tried to eradicate TB. TB is a significant health burden for India and an attempt to eradicate it needs to be understood in detail and the challenges therein examined.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the strategy that the government intends to follow to eradicate TB. Post that, we need to highlight the challenges that are likely to emerge and how we are planning to tackle them. Finally, we need to provide a forward looking view discussing the possibility of eradication of TB.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the huge burden of TB that India faces and that eradicating TB would enable India to enhance its image and influencing power in global health diplomacy networks.
- Give details in brief about TB such as it is airborne etc
- Give a brief introduction to the TB control programme – RNTCP
- Discuss the challenges in successful completion of the programme – financial constraints, lack of health infra etc
- Discuss the ways in which these challenges can be overcome
Conclusion – highlight that the road ahead for India in eradicating TB would be tough but we can take cues from our success in tackling polio and eliminate TB as well.