Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
3) Ayushman Bharat in its present state is problematic to implement as it would increase the gap between good and poor performing states in terms of provisioning of healthcare. Critically analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the issues that would arise out of Ayushman Bharat because of the gap it would create in the good and relatively worse off performing states in terms of healthcare. Ayushman Bharat is one of the flagship schemes of the government and needs to analyzed from various aspects.
Key demand of the question
The question makes an assertion that the design of Ayushman Bharat scheme is such that it would increase the gap between good and bad performing states. We need to analyze the statement, give reasons for why it would happen and the. Counter arguments stating why this might not happen. Finally, we need to give a fair and balanced conclusion and discuss way forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about Ayushman Bharat scheme.
- Explain the mechanism of Ayushman Bharat such as sharing of expenditure by centre and state, portability of healthcare etc
- Highlight the financing structure of Ayushman Bharat and discuss the problems that it would cause
- Reduce incentive for poor performing states to invest in improving healthcare infrastructure
- Increase burden on better performing states
- Dilution of state responsibility
- Give points counter to the above – improve health access for the people, reduce out of pocket expenditure etc
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced conclusion and discuss way forward.