Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
2) What are the objectives of National Green Tribunal. Also, discuss the challenges and constraints faced by the organization in fulfilling its objectives.(250 words)
Why this question
NGT is an important statutory body with a wide and extensive mandate of protecting and preserving the environment at the national level. With increasing environmental degradation and climate change the importance of the organization increases manifold.
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the objectives of NGT. It then wants us to discuss in detail about the challenges and constraints faced by the organization in fulfilling its objectives.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the NGT. e.g the National Green Tribunal was established in 2010 under the National Green Tribunal Act 2010 etc.
- Discuss the stated objectives of NGT. e.g
- To provide effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources including enforcement of any legal right relating to the environment.
- Giving relief and compensation for damages to persons and property
- And other related matters.
- Discuss the challenges and constraints faced by the organization in fulfilling its objectives. E.g There is the lack proper infrastructure as it functions from two different premises; delay in appointments of members; The number of environmental cases has been on the rise but due to lack of benches and infrastructure, the body is unable to pronounce its judgment on time; Despite various proactive support being taken by the tribunal the pollution levels has been continuously rising over the years. This is due to lack of effective support from government both at the centre as well in states. The inefficiency of Central and State pollution control boards is another reason for it. This often results in delays in implementing the tribunal’s decision; The tribunal is not having suo-motu powers which also restricts its ambit in the area of environment etc
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.