Topic – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
3) Air Pollution in India can no longer be tackled with short term, reactive solutions. Critically analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the severeness of the problem of air pollution in our cities and analyzes the limitations of government action in dealing with this issue. In light of the growing challenge posed by air pollution, we need to critically analyze our strategy to deal with the same and devise a way forward.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- A peek into how bad the air pollution situation is
- A mention of what our current strategy to deal with air pollution is and its critical analysis
- Give suggestions as to how to improve the status quo
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief idea of how bad the air pollution situation is.
- Discuss the current strategy of the government in dealing with air pollution – routine, piecemeal steps without much reliance on establishing causal relations etc. Highlight steps such as implementation of odd even , banning of crackers etc which hardly make a dent in reducing air Pollution
- highlight that these steps might give temporary relief. For instance, the situation during Diwali becomes hazardous and hence, limiting the use of crackers must be one of the steps of curbing pollution.
- However, bring out the issues with the strategy – not scientific, not properly implemented such as in the case of stubble burning in Haryana where we are still unable to stop farmers etc
Conclusion – Give your view on our current strategy to tackle air pollution and discuss way forward.