Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “devolution of powers and finances up to local
levels and challenges therein”
4) In the absence of well – educated and organised local level government system, Panchayats and Samitis have remained mainly political institutions and not effective instrument of governance. Discuss.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain certain key terms asked in the question in your answer such as
- Highlight that panchayat have not turned out to be effective instruments of governance
- Discuss the reasons why this is so. Here the question says absence of educated and organised local level government systems. Discuss what this means, whether mandatory educational qualification is correct etc
- Discuss the way forward
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief introduction to Panchayati Raj in India.
- Discuss the status of Panchayats and Samitis – where they have not brought any changes in governments structure and have not turned out to be effective agents of governance
- Discuss the reasons why this is so (or not so). Explain whether making education mandatory for candidates or improving the organization structure by better devolution of power and finances would improve the situation
Conclusion – Give your opinion and discuss way forward