Topic– Functions and responsibilities of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
2) The Indian judiciary has time and again defined the federal character of the Indian constitution. Discuss. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail as to how judiciary has defined and explained the concept of federalism in India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the Indian federation and how the constitution explains it.
Discuss some of the important cases where the SC has presented its opinion on the Indian Federation. E.g
- State of West Bengal vs Union of India
- State of Rajasthan v. Union of India
- State of Karnataka v. Union of India
- Kesavananda Bharati v. State of Kerala
- S.R. Bommai v. Union of India etc.
Discuss the key findings of the SC in each case.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.