Topic: changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) India’s overexploitation of groundwater is leading to the worst water crisis in its history. Examine and suggest measures for improvement.(250 words)
Why this question
The question examines the reasons behind groundwater shortage in India and the steps that India needs to take to improve the scenario. The situation is quite critical with none other than Niti Ayog calling it the worst water crisis in India’s history and hence this topic needs to be prepared.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out three things clearly in our answer
- The status of groundwater crisis in the country
- Reasons behind the same
- Ways in which the current situation can be improved
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the situation wrt ground water
- Discuss reasons behind the water crisis such as overexploitation of groundwater for agriculture, focus on water intensive crops like rice and wheat in water deficient areas etc
- Discuss the ways in which the current situation can be improved through adoption of efficient irrigation techniques like drip irrigation, bottom up approach by empowering local community to become active participants in water management process etc
Conclusion – Discuss the gravity of crisis and the way forward.