Topic – Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
8) Around the world marine habitats are in extreme danger including in India. Examine and comment on the way forward for India when it comes to kickstarting Blue economy?(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the growing issues with marine habitats and how India should alter it’s blue economy strategy to make it in line with socio economic goals. The issue of dead zones was asked in this year’s mains as well. Hence this is a growing concern which needs smart tackling on part of India so that the mistakes of past are not repeated in the new developmental paradigm.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the problems plaguing marine ecosystem around the world and thereafter, highlight how and why is it affecting India. Thereafter, we need to discuss the blue economy goals of Indian government, the nature of it and how it should be modified to take into account the sustainability aspect as well.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention that the status of marine habitats is in danger and mention reports which highlight the same.
- Discuss the status of marine economy
- Highlight the prominence of dead zones and what it means for marine habitats
- Discuss the impact of fishing on world’s oceans
- Highlight the magnitude of problem plaguing India – complicating factor has been its inability to rein in the fisheries subsidies program,
- Discuss the government’s aim to kick-start Blue economy , seabed mining etc
- Discuss what shape should such a program take –
- broader need for inclusive social development, environmental balance and ecological security should not be subservient to the driving imperative of financial expansion and industrial growth
- improve the lives of coastal communities. For this, the political leadership needs to impose limitations on technology-based economic development, pushing the industry to meet its social obligations for the protection and conservation of coastal and marine ecosystems. The challenge is to get industry interested in a social model of blue growth that does not focus exclusively on pecuniary gains.
Conclusion – Emphasize on the need to address this soon and Summarize based on arguments made above, what needs to be done.