Insights Weekly Essay Challenges 2018 – Week 43: Alternative technologies for a climate change resilient India
Insights Weekly Essay Challenges 2018 – Week 43
28 October 2018
Write an essay on the following topic in not more than 1000-1200 words:
Alternative technologies for a climate change resilient India
Hint to Topic:
This topic doesn’t merely talk about ‘any technologies’ – it’s about ‘Alternative Technologies’. So, first identify what are the conventional technologies that you must avoid in your essay. Do homework on ‘Alternative Technologies’ before venturing to write this essay.
- Firstly, you should be clear what’s ‘Climate Change Resilience’ and what’s ‘Alternative Technology’. Also note that this essay is specific to India. You can write about existing alternative technologies or futuristic technologies too.
- Brainstorm on this topic to create a broad structure where emphasis is on identifying various dimensions rather than summarising entire essay with micro-details. It should look like a mind map.
- Start this essay (introduction) by providing grim picture of India if it fails to act against climate change. Give broader context in introduction. Highlight briefly how India can find alternative technologies and challenges it faces in adopting them.
- After introduction, write a thesis statement stating what’s going to be your central argument and how you are going to defend it (in 2-3 lines)
- In the body, identify 6-7 broad dimensions related to the topic such as: nature of mitigation + adaption related alternative technologies; need for alternative technologies; Source of such technologies; If they suit to Indian conditions; Their cost effectiveness; Their effectiveness in mitigating climate change in India; future of such technologies; can they really make India climate resilient? etc.
- Another dimension you can add is this: what else is needed other than ‘alternative technologies’ to make India climate resilient?
- While writing various dimensions, make sure they are relevant to the topic in question. Don’t deviate. Link arguments to support the topic. Also don’t forget to write your own thoughts about each dimensions (this part where you write your interpretation is key to fetch more marks in essay). For every argument, give examples, or illustrate with suitable illustrations such as stories, fables etc. Also make sure to interlink sub-dimensions within each dimension. There should be linkages between different dimensions as well.
- Use stats and data to support or validate your statements/arguments.
- Explore temporal and spatial dimensions within each themes/dimensions.
- Make your essay engaging and interesting – provide real examples rather than hypothetical ones.
- In the conclusion write something like India becoming climate resilient is in the interest of the world (briefly explain why).