Topic– strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance
7) Suppose you are presented with a problem which involves ethical decision making i.e adherence to the principles of ethics, while arriving at a decision. What steps would you follow in order to arrive at the decision. Discuss. Also create a hypothetical situation where those steps could be implemented. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to brainstorm and write in detail as to what should be the broad framework followed in order to make ethical decisions. It wants us to form a step wise procedure in this regard. Then we have to give an example of a hypothetical situation where our step by step process could be applied.
Structure of the answer
- Introduction– write a few lines about the need to follow ethical principles in public administration and briefly mention the role of code of conduct rules etc.
Mention that it is not possible to formulate a process which covers all situations where questions of ethics may arise. Form your answer in the form of a step by step process and give a brief explanation for each step. E.g you can take the help of Michael Davis’ seven-step guide to ethical decision-making. Be creative and critical enough to modify the guide for the challenges involved in public administration.
Seven-step guide to ethical decision-making (Davis 1999)
- State the problem.
- Check the facts.
- Identify relevant factors.
- Develop a list of options.
- Test the options.
- Make a choice based on steps 1-5.
- Review steps 1-6.
- Form an example where this guide can be followed.