Topic – Conservation, environmental degradation
5) Construction and demolition waste is a major environmental and health hazard. Examine and suggest sustainable solutions for dealing with C&D waste?(250 words)
Why this question
The article gives an in depth view of the status of the problem of C&D waste, the implications of the unchecked rise of such waste and ways to deal with C&D waste. C&D waste is a major contributor to environmental pollution particularly in major cities like Delhi etc. Understanding the problem, and analyzing ways to deal with the problem is important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the magnitude of problem, the reasons why such waste is a major cause of environmental and health hazards, the reasons why the problem is difficult to manage and the sustainable solutions that can help manage this challenge.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what C&D waste is
- Explain the magnitude of this problem – discuss the lack of proper data regarding C&D waste by different agencies
- Discuss the adverse environmental and health impact of C&D waste
- Discuss international examples of how other countries have dealt with such waste – the example of countries like Germany
- Examine how we deal with waste of such nature and what more can be done based on points mentioned in the article
Conclusion – emphasize on the problems caused due to lack of attention over this issue and suggest way forward.