Topic– Indian polity : Issues
3) Discuss the verdict of Supreme Court with respect to Aadhar and the implications of the verdict?(250 words)
Why this question
Verdict of the constitutional bench of SC in Aadhar case is a landmark judgment and needs to be prepared in detail. The article gives details of the verdict as well as its implications which addresses the various debates surrounding Aadhar. This topic is going to remain in news in the near future and we have to keep an eye out for the various details and implications of the verdict.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the details of the verdict and explain how the verdict addresses the various debates surrounding Aadhar. We also need to discuss what the implications of the verdict are with respect to the beneficiaries of government subsidies, mandatory production of Aadhar for the enjoyment of various services etc.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the background of the Aadhar case and emphasize on its significance.
- Explain the details of SC’s verdict in Aadhar case
- Supreme Court upheld the validity of Aadhaar saying sufficient security measures are taken to protect data and it is difficult to launch surveillance on citizens on the basis of Aadhaar
- asked the Centre to bring a robust law for data protection as soon as possible.
- majority opinion has sought to limit the import of the scheme to aspects directly related to welfare benefits, subsidies and money spent from the Consolidated Fund of India
- Section 57 of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery Of Financial And Other Subsidies, Benefits And Services) Act, 2016, has been struck down to the extent that it authorised body corporates and individuals to use the Aadhaar number to establish someone’s identity. Schools have been barred from making the submission of the Aadhaar number mandatory to enrol children. A few other provisions have been read down or clarified
- Discuss what the verdict has to say with respect to the various debates surrounding Aadhar such as privacy, surveillance etc
- Discuss the implications of the verdict – how the verdict would impact the usage of Aadhar for various purposes and the future of the UID project
Conclusion – Mention that the issue has been under debate for long and the verdict would go a long way in easing the issues surrounding Aadhar.