Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Mechanism of monsoon”
1) Explain the factors that influence the formation, onset and intensity of south west monsoons?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to list and explain the factors that are responsible for
- Formation of south west monsoons
- Onset of south west monsoons
- Intensity of south west monsoons
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief explanation of south west monsoon in India.
Body – List and explain the factors that influence the formation, onset and intensity of south west monsoons.
- Intense heating of Tibetan plateau during summer months
- Permanent high pressure cell in the South Indian Ocean (east to north-east of Madagascar in summer)
- Above points +
- Subtropical Jet Stream (STJ)
- Tropical Easterly Jet (African Easterly Jet)
- Inter Tropical Convergence Zone
- Strengths of Low pressure over Tibet and high pressure over southern Indian Ocean.
- Somali Jet (Findlater Jet)
- Somali Current (Findlater Current)
- Indian Ocean branch of Walker Cell
- Indian Ocean Dipole.