Topic– Issues related to health
4) Universal health coverage is getting prioritised as a part of political reform with the launch of two pillars of the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY). Explain these pillars and analyze how the insurance model under NHPM be implemented to cover maximum people at lowest cost?(250 words)
Why this question
The focus of the government is on improving the health outcomes for which PMJAY rests on two pillars. The article discusses the issues with the insurance model adopted under NHPM and suggests how the insurance model can lead to enhanced coverage for maximum people at lower price. Issues related to healthcare, and particularly the closer examination and analysis of aforementioned scheme is quite important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- Explain the two key pillars of PMJAY – what it seeks to achieve and how
- Discuss NHPM in greater detail and being out the issues with the insurance model as envisaged
- Discuss how the coverage and effectiveness of insurance model under NHPM be enhanced
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the two pillars of PMJAY and emphasize that the focus has shifted on universalizing healthcare with the launch of these schemes
- Explain the details of AB and NHPM – their aim, how these schemes plan to achieve these goals, the principles of the working of these schemes.
- Discuss National Health Protection Scheme in greater detail. Bring out the issues with the current health insurance model. Discuss why achieving the targets under NHPM would be challenging considering the inefficiencies at various levels in the system and the limitations with the capacity of the company and the government.
- Discuss how the outcomes under the NHPM be enhanced to ensure more robust insurance coverage
Conclusion – Give your view on these programs launched and discuss the way forward for enhancing effectiveness.