Topic – Part of static series under the heading – “Islands”
1) Explain the origin of the two major islands of India and highlight their salient features?(250 words)
NCERT India Physical geography pg 18
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out how the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep islands were formed and highlight their salient features such as the tribes there, the climate, their importance for India, the vegetation etc
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep islands are the two major island chains of India.
- Explain the origin of Andaman and Nicobar Islands – volcanic in nature and recognised as the extensions of Himalayas.
- Discuss the salient features of ANI such as
- It gives strategic edge for India in terms of security, maritime trade and extended reach to Indian ocean
- These islands are home to primitive tribes like Jarawas, Santhalis, Ongos etc
- Volcanic soils and geographic location, subject these islands to both S-W monsoons and N-E monsoons and gives the one of the most pristine ecosystems of the world with rich diversified flora and fauna.
- Equatorial climate with tropical evergreen forests.
- group of 204 islands and lies as an elongated strip
- Habitat for one of the pristine coral reefs in the world.
- Highlight the origin of Lakshadweep islands – are of coral origin and explain the symbiotic relationship through which such islands are formed
- Discuss the salient features of Lakshadweep islands
- Originated as coral islands and agricultural productivity is low due to infertile soil
- Existence of atolls, corals etc., made it as one of the tourist destination
- Know for coconut, palm cultivation etc