Topic– Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies
3) Examine the issues in Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana and discuss ways through which the coverage under this scheme can be enhanced?(250 words)
Why this question
The article talks about the challenges faced by one of the most important scheme initiated by this government for improving the status of farmers and suggests ways through which the scheme can be made more effective. Since PMFBY, has already been asked in UPSC in the past couple of years, the scheme and the challenges faced in its implementation needs to be prepared in depth.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to answer the following points
- Details of PMFBY and status quo
- Issues in PMFBY
- Suggestions to make the scheme more efficient and effective such that the coverage under the scheme be increased
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give details about PMFBY and the status of coverage under the scheme.
- Discuss how PMFBY has been an improvement over past schemes – more farmer friendly, with sums insured being closer to the cost of production. The scheme’s linkage with parallel programmes like the ‘Jan Dhan Yojana’ and ‘Digital India’ makes it a truly inclusive and welfare-based scheme. The scheme therefore led to increased coverage of 5.7 crore farmers in 2016 and the sum insured crossed Rs. 200,000 crore.
- Discuss the issues remaining still in the scheme – outmoded method of crop loss assessment; inadequate and delayed claim payment; high premium rates; and poor execution. Consequently, in 2017, the expansive coverage of the scheme suffered some setback as seen in a drop of nearly one crore farmers in enrolment (about 17%). Such shortcomings have inspired recent announcements such as that of Bihar to start its own scheme, the “Bihar Rajya Fasal Sahayata Yojna”.
- Suggest ways to improve the scheme – Faster and appropriate claim settlement:Timely estimate of loss assessment is the biggest challenge before the PMFBY; To improve the efficacy of the PMFBY, technology use must be intensified. With options such as available today, such as detailed weather data, remote sensing, modelling and big data analytics; The whole process of monitoring can be made accessible and transparent to farmers, policy-makers and insuring agencies alike through an online portal etc
Conclusion – Give your view on how PMFBY can be improved and suggest way forward.