Topic – World History
2) Democracy in this world has come in waves. Explain this statement while also discussing the status of democracy in the South Asia?(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the status of democracy in South Asia, it examines the problems faced by democracy. The question would help you prepare how democracy has come in waves and the issues and challenges faced by democracy today.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the spread of democracy, how democracy has spread in phases. Next, we need to explain what democracy stands for and the status of democracy in the countries of south Asia.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that democracy has expanded in phases.
- Explain the 1st phase – when the ideas of French and American revolution were still taking root and mention that in the first phase, the questions were limited to issues of political equality, freedom and justice.
- Explain the 2nd phase which came alongside decolonisation. Explain how the newly independent countries, adopted democracy, although not every country could succeed.
- Explain the 3rd phase – at the end of cold war when USSR disintegrated and several East European countries became democratic
- Explain the 4th phase – Highlight that it started with Arab Spring.
- Explain the status of democracy in south Asia as discussed in the article
Conclusion – Discuss how the idea of democracy needs to be understood and implemented properly.