Topic– Part of static series under the heading – “Tides”
6) What are tides and explain the factors that lead to the occurrence of tides? Explain the various types of tides?(250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question is quite straightforward in its demand. We need to explain the various factors that lead to the formation of tides as well as the various types of tides based on frequency and based on sun, moon and Earth’s position.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain what tides are. Tide are the periodical rise and fall of the sea levels, once or twice a day, caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the sun, the moon and the rotation of the earth.
- Explain the various factors which are gravitational forces exerted by the sun, the moon and the rotation of the earth. Explain why gravitational pull of moon has a predominant effect
- Explain the various types of tide
- Based on frequency – semi diurnal, diurnal and mixed
- Based on position of sun, moon and earth – spring tides and neap tides. In this also explain what happens to tides during perigee, apogee, perihelion and aphelion