Topic – Indian economy – issues
3) Tourism can become one of the mainstays of Indian economy if certain basic issues are taken care of. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the steps that India needs to take in order to realise the government’s target of achieving 20 million tourists arrival by 2020. The article discusses the changes that will have to be brought by India for making tourism one of the mainstays of Indian economy. Hence this article is useful to prepare tourism sector for GS3.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the potential of tourism sector in India, the shortcomings in the sector, the steps that India needs to take to boost tourism in the country. Finally we need to mention the impact of focussing on tourism sector in India.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – mention that UN world tourism organization in a report has estimated that there has been a significant jump in tourist arrival in India and the revenue earned on account of tourism.
- Discuss the status of tourism in India. Give facts and figures related to revenue and forex earnings, tourist footfalls. Also highlight the diverse nature of tourist circuits in the country.
- Highlight the areas where work is needed – security, infrastructure and connectivity.give details of these three aspects
- Mention the steps taken by the government in improving the aforementioned areas through schemes and programmes like PRASAD, e tourist visa etc
- Discuss the steps that need to be taken still to fill in the gaps
Conclusion – Give your view on the potential of tourism sector in India and the impact it can have.