Topic – Indigenization of technology and developing new technology
4) With growing applications of drones, regulatory framework of drones has come not a day too early. Examine the lacunae and impact of the policy?(250 words)
Why this question
The application of drones in recent years has seen a marked increase. While this opens up several new opportunities, it also highlights the need for having regulations for drone usage. The article highlights this issues and examines the lacunae in the policy.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to first explain whether the application of drones is growing and how. Through this we have to establish the need for a policy regulating usage of drones. Next, we need to highlight the details of the policy and the issues in them. Finally, we need to highlight how this policy will impact us in the days to come.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – In the initial section of your answers establish the necessity for a policy regulating drone usage. You can highlight the growing application in sectors as diverse as defence to YouTube videos.
- Mention that the government has done well to set up a regulatory framework for drone operations, including commercial use.
- Highlight the details of the policy –
- Requirement of UIN and UAOP
- Who all can obtain license
- Other details related to drone usage such as substantial ownership etc
- Creation of buffer zones
- Discuss the impact of the policy in the area of security, disaster management etc
- Highlight the gaps in the policy or where some changes could have been made – strict criteria for grant of licenses, whether the safety criteria in deciding buffer zones could have been changed etc
Conclusion – Give your view on the policy and the way forward.