Topic – EIA
5) The EIA process in India is merely a documentary exercise, with very little practical utility. Critically examine. (250 words)
Why this question
In times of disaster, we remember what could have been done. Off late, the focus has shifted to the process of EIA, which has several gaps which need to be plugged to ensure that the environmental damages are kept at a minimum. This article discusses the problems with the process of EIA which needs to be examined.
Key demand of the question
The question is making an assertion that the EIA process is merely filling up paper, with very little to no original work being done. Basically it raises question mark over the process of EIA. We have to give arguments both for and against this assertion, give a balanced view at the end and discuss the way in which the process can be improved.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain the process of EIA and highlight that the poor quality of eia is now affecting us when we are faced with disasters at a very high frequency.
- Explain in detail what all are the key components of EIA
- First of all discuss why it is said that EIA had become merely a documentary exercise. Highlight the issues with the process of EIA both in terms of issues in preparation of report and also bring out the public hearing issues.
- Thereafter, discuss why the process of EIA is so critical and highlight the advantages that has accrued to India on account of EIA
- Discuss how the process can be strengthened by suggesting reforms.
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view on EIA and mention the way forward.