Are you Ready for Insta 75 Days Revision Plan (UPSC Prelims - 2020)?
Topic– India and its neighbourhood relations
3) Many of the elements that made SAARC hostage to political rivalry can re-emerge in case of BIMSTEC. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
With BIMSTEC summit around the corner, the focus has shifted to understanding the SWOT of BIMSTEC. The article makes us aware of how, if not taken care of, BIMSTEC can go on the same path as SAARC. The article highlights the challenges and discusses the way forward for BIMSTEC and will be useful for preparing material on this important regional organization which is BIMSTEC.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the reasons why regional integration efforts via BIMSTEC may meet the same fate as SAARC. Here we will have to bring out the threats in front of BIMSTEC which might lead to discord later on. Thereafter, we need to mention the potential of BIMSTEC and how the organisation can be used to weave south Asia in a cohesive unit.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief status of the regional integration project in south asia. Highlight the fate of SAARC and bring out the overall dynamics between the members of BIMSTEC.
- Explain in brief about BIMSTEC
- Discuss why India is reaching out to BIMSTEC and trying to reinvigorate BIMSTEC – failure of SAARC, Act East Policy etc
- Examine why BIMSTEC faces similar challenges as SAARC – explain that BIMSTEC like SAARC may be an India dominated group, China question etc
- Explain why BIMSTEC differs from SAARC – no country looking to play a negative role like in SAARC, not a negative organization like SAARC etc
- Highlight the potential of BIMSTEC
Conclusion – Give your view on the assertion in question and discuss how India should proceed wrt BIMSTEC.