Topic– Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security
2) Evaluate the claim that the challenge of Naxalism in this country is on its last legs?(250 words)
Why this question
The Home minister recently made this claim that the threat of Naxalism is on its last legs in India. Naxalism presents one of the most significant challenge to internal security of Indian state and India’s progress in tackling Naxalism needs to be probed in depth.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to examine whether the challenge of Naxalism is on its last legs in India. We need to discuss the strategy of tackling Naxalism in the country, the effectiveness of that strategy, the challenges faced still and the way forward.
Evaluate – When you are asked to evaluate, you have to pass a sound judgement about the truth of the given statement in the question or the topic based on evidences. You have to appraise the worth of the statement in question. There is scope for forming a personal opinion here.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the problem of Naxalism in the country and mention that it has posed one of the most significant internal security challenge for the Indian state. Highlight the recent comment made by the Home Minister with regards to Naxalism.
- Discuss the strategy employed by Indian state – government of India’s National Policy and Action Plan, with its emphasis on security and development, is definitely making an impact, Winning Hearts and Minds etc
- Discuss the impact of these strategies employed – highlight the recent advances made, developmental projects undertaken in red zone areas etc
- Discuss why this is a problem which might have subsided but is likely to rear its ugly head – perceived historical wrongs, the lack of presence of state infrastructure in certain districts etc
- Suggest the way forward for ensuring that the gains made in tackling Naxalism is sustained – whether we should extend an olive branch from a position of strength or whether we need to crush the naxal movement when their chips are down
Conclusion – Give your view on the status of naxal challenge and the way forward for dealing with this challenge.