Topic – Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
6) Addressing undernutrition challenge should be taken up on mission mode by the government. Discuss. Also suggest ways to address this challenge. (250 words)
Why this question
The article contains very important statistics on status of malnutrition in India and strategies to deal with it. This topic is quite important while discussing inclusive growth in India.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the status quo of undernutrition among children, women and other vulnerable sections of the society. Through such data and other constitutional and social imperatives, we need to establish the need of tackling this problem on mission mode. In the final part of the answer, we need to discuss the steps that need to be taken to address this significant challenge facing the Indian state.
Discussion – In your discussion, you need to establish the need of tackling the problem of undernutrition on an urgent basis and give suggestions for tackling this issue.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that India has been taking several measures to improve the status of nutrition and how the definition of nutrition has changed over the years with focus on micronutrients.
- Use the statistics mentioned in the article to explain that India’s status quo wrt undernutrition is quite alarming. Discuss that it the moral obligation of government to implement directive policies which explicitly states that undernutrition needs to be challenged. Also highlight the international obligations on India which should compel it to tackle this challenge on an urgent basis.
- Highlight that the problem plagues women, children and other vulnConclrable section
- Discuss why tackling undernutrition should be a key focus area of the government. Highlight points such as building human capital, reaping demographic dividend etc
- Discuss the steps that need to be taken to address this challenge – the steps suggested by NITI Ayog etc
Conclusion – Summarize your answer while emphasizing the need of tackling this challenge and how we can do it.