Topic– Conservation, environmental degradation
3) Various committees have been formed to give recommendations on preservation of Western Ghats, but not a lot has happened on that front. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
The recent Kerala floods have brought the attention on Gadgil committee recommendation on Western Ghats and reveals the frailness of the Ghats. The non implementation of Gadgil committee report has been touted as one of the reason why Kerala floods were this severe. Thus the committees formed for the preservation of Western Ghats in particular and Western Ghats in general has become important for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the recommendations of Gadgil committee, Kasturiranjan Committee and Oommen v Oommen Committee and how the recommendations of the three committees varied from each other, along with the impact that the non implementation of the recommendations have had.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the ecological criticality of Western Ghats and the details of the 3 committees mentioned above.
- Discuss the key recommendations of the 3 committees
- Gadgil – classifying entire western ghats into 3 ecologically sensitive zones and imposing the strictest environmental standards in ESZ 1
- Kasturiranjan – 37% of western ghats to be classified as ecologically sensitive area , but a wider definition of Western Ghats
- Oommen v Oommen – make changes in environmentally fragile land in western ghats, made several pro farmer recommendations etc
- Give the status of these reports and the criticism of these reports which led to these reports not being implemented
- Discuss the fact that Kerala rejected the Gadgil committee report and the impact it has had on Kerala.
Conclusion – in light of extreme climate events, discuss the need for greater protection being accorded to ecologically sensitive areas like Western Ghats and the way forward.