Topic- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation
6) Critically analyze the claim that National Biofuel Policy 2018 is neither forward looking nor does it show a clear thinking?(250 words)
Why this question
The article examines the provisions of National Biofuel policy and examines whether the provisions are an improvement over the previous policy, whether feedback from the implementation of previous policy has been incorporated in the new one etc. Since biofuels are so critical for environment as well as from point of view of economy, this policy needs to be prepared for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss in detail the provisions of new NBP, examine how these provisions compare to the previous NBP. We need to highlight the pros and cons of the new NBP vis a vis the old one as well as discuss whether it has set realistic aims and correct way forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. You need to conclude with a fair judgement, after analyzing the nature of each component part and interrelationship between them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss why a biofuel policy which is forward looking and shows clear thinking is very much required in light of the environmental and economic challenges we face.
- Discuss the provisions of the new policy vis a vis the old one – focus on 2nd generation of biofuel, incentives for their production, higher blending targets etc.
- Examine the status of implementation of targets of previous policy – 1g not fully reached its potential, blending targets hardly met etc
- Discuss the other issues with the policy such as lack of focus on octane , problem with VGF scheme in the new policy etc
- Discuss what should be the way forward in order to fully reap dividends of blending biofuel
Conclusion – Give a fair and balanced view on biofuel policy and emphasize on the need for making such changes for a more forward looking policy.