Topic– factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
3) Great in Aluminium sector is critical for India’s vision of achieving 25% of GDP from manufacturing by 2022. In this context, examine the need for a national Aluminium policy?(250 words)
Why this question
The article explains the criticality of aluminium in a nation’s industrial development, the issues plaguing aluminium industries and suggests some way forward. This question is thus important in GS1 for mains.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the criticality of Aluminium sector for enhancing the growth of manufacturing sector. Next, we need to discuss the status of India in Aluminium production and consumption, issues plaguing aluminium sector as well. Finally we need to give suggestions for ensuring well oiled growth of the sector.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss why special emphasis is needed to be given to aluminum sector – highlight the versatility of its uses in various stages and sectors of manufacturing.
- Discuss the status quo with respect to production and consumption of aluminium, its share in the manufacturing sector, import export figure etc
- Explain why is it important to focus on aluminium sector – critical in achieving goals set under Make in India, achieving goals of national manufacturing policy, its usage in several sectors of manufacturing, need for removing import dependance, availability in India, environmental benefits etc
- Delve deeper into the issues plaguing aluminium sector in India – huge electricity requirement in production of Aluminium and the low availability of the same, delay in obtaining clearances etc
- Give suggestions on how we can improve India’s status with respect to production and consumption of Al.
Conclusion – Give your view on the need for a national policy on aluminium in India.