Topic- Indian agriculture – issues
6) Critically examine whether Bt Cotton has helped Indian farmers and Indian economy? Do you think government should stop resisting the usage of such technology?(250 words)
Why this question
The article talks about the benefits that have been reaped from BT cotton. The have been several arguments regarding Bt crops said in favour and against. Understanding those arguments is thus critical, hence this question.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the pros and cons of utilisation of bt cotton and give our on opinion on what the government should do regarding the future of bt crops.
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Explain what Bt Cotton is.
- Mention about the fact that impressed by the advantages offered by Bollgard II, farmers have planted Bt cotton, unapproved, in several parts of the country.
- Discuss the advantages offered for the farmers. Mention that the proof of the advantages reaped lies in the fact that farmers are willing to pay more than the capped amount for purchasing seeds.
- Give other advantages of usage of such technology – increased production and exports , reduction in use of pesticides etc
- Discuss some of the challenges – opposition by farmers welfare group who raise fear of conglomerates like Monsanto, the impact on ecology due to fear of monoculture etc
- Give your view on what according to you should be the future
Conclusion – discuss what the way forward must be.