Topic– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
3) That Leprosy is still a major public health problem draws into question the ethical priorities of our national and state health policies and their implementation. Critically analyze our fight against leprosy.(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the shortcomings in our fight against leprosy, which we often assume is a challenge that has been dealt with. The article deals with a major health crisis that impacts the most vulnerable section of our society and hence is important.
Key demand of the question
The question makes a sad comment on status quo that its shameful that we have not been able to deal with the leprosy challenge. We need to mention what the status quo is which reflects the poor state of affairs, the steps taken so far in dealing with leprosy, how they have managed to improve the situation somewhat, the new challenges that have arisen, and our view on tackling the leprosy problem.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When critically is suffixed, you have to point out the pros and cons along with a fair and balanced opinion.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the status quo with respect to leprosy challenge and highlight the observation mentioned in the article regarding the growing incident of leprosy cases amongst the socially marginalized.
- Discuss the steps taken by the government such as the National Leprosy Eradication Programme, National Health Policy, multi drug therapy treatments etc
- Discuss the results of such intervention. Highlight that incidents did go down.
- Highlight that despite government’s focus, problems are many. Highlight the problems faced by leprosy patients, along with the deficiencies in government’s strategy.
- Discuss what steps should be taken – special campaigns in disease prone areas and communities, counselling centres, increased focus etc
Conclusion – Mention a fair and balanced view on India’s strategy so far and emphasize that leprosy’s persistence reflects poorly on a country aspiring to become a world power.