Insights 70 Days Ethics Plan
Day – 9
- Your friend has started a start-up that focuses on producing a paper based product on mass scale that seeks to replace plastic products. The product has been a hit with investors. To sell his product on massive scale he needs cooperation and support from the government. However, he faces uphill task of fighting the huge lobby of plastic manufacturers who have been collectively pressurising government to not to ban plastic, or levy high taxes on paper based consumer products. He knows that these pressure groups have paid huge bribes to concerned authorities to not to ban plastic.
a) Is it possible for your friend to make his product popular without bribing authorities or compromising his values? Evaluate his options.
Plastic pollution is one of the major threats to the environment in the modern society. So the need for conservation of environment for ourselves and future generations is the duty of all people. But bribing to maintain their own interests by plastic manufactures is unethical and rises a doubt in the democratic system of government.
My friend has the following options in order to make his product popular without compromising his values:-
- Option 1:-
- He can approach the NGO’s with similar environmental cause of banning plastic and get their support is popularizing the idea. Also the social media usage can give him access to wider audience .This option would make people aware of the impact of plastic on environment and the need for paper based products.
- Option 2:-
- Approaching government officials:-
- Especially when the government is already moving towards ban on plastic and states actively promoting the ban, it is the right time to approach the government officials .For instance startup Biogreen made efforts to make government officials understand the product and acquired the required licenses for the same.
- Also there is a need to issue a complaint about the nexus of some officials with plastic manufacturers so that process is transparent and does not affect businesses adversely.
- The same approach can be followed here as well as government is already encouraging startups. However due to connivance of government officials and plastic manufacturers the result can be adverse for the startup.
- This approach can be considered along with mix of some of other options as well.
- Option 3:-
- Make people aware by conducting workshops, seminars making students in schools and colleges aware and gain public support. Once public trusts the product the sales will increase and automatically the use of plastic will come down.
- Option 4:-
- It is not possible to make the product popular without necessary support from the government. Even though his ethical principle of not resorting to giving bribes is intact his business is fallen. So a work for a good cause is lost.
- Approaching government officials:-
- These days we are witnessing different crimes in schools and colleges across the globe. These crimes have been perpetrated both by students and teachers alike on many occasions. What do these incidents reflect on education and society? If you are an administrator of education institution, what measures will you take to prevent crimes? Evaluate efficacy of your measures.
Schools should be safe havens for teaching and learning free of crime and violence. Any instance of crime or violence at school not only affects the individuals involved but also may disrupt the educational process and affect bystanders, the school itself, and the surrounding community.
What do these events reflect on education and society :-
- School violence is a multi-faceted social ill and may occur for diverse reasons, one of which is the intake of hard substances such as drugs and alcohol abuse. Students, school staff or members of society who are intoxicated tend to lose control of their inhibitions and often act in an irrational manner.
- School violence may arise due to the psychological deficiencies created by dysfunctional homes. Worry, hatred, inferiority complex, anger and other negative emotions which fuel violent behavior, could develop in people when they are exposed to poor parenting or disaccord amongst family members. Also, in homes where parents/guardians display violent behavior, children/wards usually adopt violence as a way of asserting authority.
- The impact of violent television programs and video games is largely underestimated in the society. Children/ teenagers often emulate their favorite television characters in action movies and this leads to learned violent behavior in schools.
- Education is focused more on obtaining marks rather than upholding values.
- With technology children are getting more addicted to smart phones and becoming more isolated and the sessions to bond through sports ,direct communication etc are lacking.
Measures needed to prevent crimes :-
- The school and management can give training to teachers about how to create a friendly and helpful environment in the classroom and school so student are not getting involved in this type of activities. Some of the area on which we can train our teachers are classes on anger management and conflict management, how to give guidance to students who get easily affected by this type of activity, how to create cool and comfortable environment for the students to perform well in studies.
- Parent and family based programs can improve family relations and lower the risk for violence by children especially when started early. These programs provide parents with education about child development and teach skills to communicate and solve problems in non violent manner.
- Mentoring programs can significantly reduce youth violence. These programs pair a young person with an adult who can serve as a positive role model and help guide the young person’s behaviour.
- Universal school based prevention programs can significantly lower the rates of aggression and violent behaviour .These programs are delivered to all the students in school or grade level. They teach about various topics and develop skills such as emotional self awareness and control, positive social skills, problem solving ,conflict resolution and teamwork.
- Classmates and other students can play an important role in reducing this type of activity because they are the persons who are spending more time with each other.
- Ensure that educational curriculum include lessons about ethics, morals etc.
- The school buildings and school-sponsored events should also be properly guarded in order to quickly detect any possible threats of violence.
- Larger community such as non-governmental organizations should make concerted efforts to reach out to students and other youth in order to properly address issues of drug abuse, social anxieties and other forms of mental or affective disorders.
These measures need to be implemented cohesively and together rather than a step by step approach to uproot the source of the problem and ensuring kids become more ethical and uphold the true values of education.