Topic – environmental pollution and degradation
5) A recent report has highlighted uranium contamination in India’s groundwater. Discuss the causes, its effects and ways to address the issue?(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights this new issue in groundwater which has serious implications. Niti Aayog’s recent report on the situation of groundwater has already painted a bleak picture and uranium poisoning is the concern.
Key demand of the question
The question is fairly straightforward in its demand. It expects us to discuss what the issue is about, examine the causes behind uranium contamination of groundwater, the impact in health etc and the ways in which this problem can be nipped in its bud.
Discuss – Here one has to mention the specific details asked in the question in their discussion.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the findings of the report in Environmental Science and Technology Letters.
- Explain the problem – safe limit for uranium, how this increases the severity of groundwater crisis, in the past arsenic crisis was also a huge issue.
- Explain the causes such as naturally found in rocks, excessive pumping for groundwater, overuse of acquifers etc
- Discuss the impact it would have in health as well as add to water woes
- Examine how the problem can be addressed
Conclusion – Emphasize on the seriousness of the issue and the need to take preemptive active before the problem gets out of hand.