VETERINARY SCIENCE AND ANIMAL HUSBANDRY
IAS MAINS STRATEGY
BY Dr Bilal Mohi ud din Bhat
IAS 2017 RANK 10
IFS 2013 RANK 23
Veterinary science and animal husbandry is subject which is scoring in UPSC civil services. It has escaped from scaling due to less number of candidates appearing in mains. But due to huge syllabus and some misconceptions , the subject is not popular even in the candidates who are graduates and post graduates in veterinary sciences.
Disclaimer : this subject is only for professional veterinary graduates .
Misconception (and solutions )veterinarian have in his mind
- We tend to look veterinary science from our degree point of view. The depth and vastness by which we study it in our 5 years is our platform through which we look it. But this is completely wrong and will lead us nowhere.
Veterinary science as a optional is different. We need to create a broad understanding of topics in syllabus and frequently asked questions ( past 5-6 years question papers).
We need to make synopsis and structures of various topics so as to reproduce them in entirety.
- We tend to write the answers in UPSC as we write them in degree papers. This is not possible, even if you try you cannot. In your degree papers you need depth , purely knowledge because that is the demand of professional veterinary subject.
In veterinary optional , you need to write an wholesome answers, just touching concepts and consolidating it in 150 or 200 words. You need to showcase that you are strong at concepts , applications and impact ( applies to animal husbandry question or purely veterinary science question on diseases and treatment. You need to present it better with proper introduction , body and conclusion.
- Do not be static in your approach. Link your answer it if possible with the current developments.Show that you are updated .Examples and case studies can be included but don’t get obsessed or do not waste time.
- Stop searching for so called “ IAS/IFS Veterinary material” .It does not exist anywhere. Remember whatever you learn and read during your degree is sufficient material. If possible utilize your collage notes . They are best. Stop searching online material madly. Focus on syllabus and past 6 years papers and practice them well.
- 5. Earlier trend in UPSC exams
- a) essay type questions
- b) more questions from animal husbandry portion
- c) no word limit ( in other than compulsory questions)
Now the trend is
1) limitation of time and space. Thus you need to be “to the point” and quick in framing answers.
2) number of questions have increased thus covering more areas of syllabus. Thus we need to cover whole syllabus to answer them.
3) equal focus on animal husbandry portion and veterinary sciences portion.
- The biggest problem with veterinary science is the last minute revision. Make synopsis and structures revise them thoroughly. Diseases (preventive medicine , production diseases, clinical medicine, toxicology and pharmacology) should be summarized so as to revise last minute. Needless to mention, you cannot write everything of a disease but essential characteristics of the disease should not be missed.
- what to consult if you have not any source of your degree course.
- BRILLIANT TUTORIAL (BT) . It is available in Delhi ( rajender nagar or jawahar publication ber sarai). It is not available in original. Only Photostat is available. It should be direction or a guide into vast veterinary science. Keep it with you. Please do not read Animal breeding, diseases , meat sciences from it. Find a good source for these topics.
Animal nutrition , milk and milk products etc is fairly good.
- b) Online digital material by TANUVAS is very good and it helped me a lot to make notes with latest updates.
- c) Below I have given a comprehensive list of books to be read selectively and what to read from them and also how to read.
To conclude , veterinary science has always helped me to crack examination ,be it my state services (KAS), IFS -2013 OR IAS 2016. Revision is the key . Practice last 5 years question papers. Improve on your mistakes and be confident.
UPSC CSE OPTIONAL VETERINARY SCIENCES & ANIMAL HUSBANDRY
For IAS my subject was Veterinary Science. I got 304/500
For IFS my subjects were Veterinary Science and Zoology. I got 198/400
For KAS my subjects were Veterinary Science and Public Administration. 425/600
Here is the indicated topic wise break up of Veterinary Science , relative importance , book list which is bit specific.
|Unit/UPSC syllabus||Books||Remarks ( Topics)|
|Animal Nutrition||1. Principles of Animal Nutrition by D V Reddy ( 2 books)
2. BT Tutorials .
|1. Energy-protein relationship
2. Use of NPN compounds
3. Feed additives
4. Conservation of fodders ,storage and anti-nutritional factors associated with them
5. Poultry Nutrition.
a. Blood and CVS
d. Endocrine system
|1. Guyton and Hall especially for Endocrine system and Cardiovascular System.
2. Dukes Animal physiology especially for Blood ,Respiration and Excretion.
3. Make sure you read specific for Birds.
4. Biochemistry by
U Sataynarayan especially for buffers, acid –base balance
|-One should make smart notes of this unit because it is very difficult to revise the topics at the last moment.
-Make diagrams and practice them especially for
Cardiac Cycle, Bood cells, Pulmonary circulation , Coronary circulation, Cerebro -Spinal fluid Circulation, Kidney and its structures(nephrons), air sacs in birds ( very important)
– Growth curves
– Mammary development
– Digestive organs
|Growth and animal production||1. Read it from TANUVAS e-learning online .|
|Physiology of Milk production||1. Text book of Animal Husbandry by G C Banerji
2. Added with mammary development from Mc Donald.
|Make suitable notes.|
|Environmental physiology||1. e-learning TANUVAS
3. Dukes last chapter 12th edition
|Make suitable notes
n Adaptation to cold and hot climate
n Impact of climate on milk production
a. Semen quality , component ,properties, storage
b. Detection of oestrus, anoestrus and repeat breeding.
a. From normal text book
b. Make good notes from standard textbooks
—spermatogenesis and oogenesis
—- qualitative and quantitative characteristics of semen.
—– methods of detection of estrus
|Livestock production and Management||1. Read it from BT tutorials
2. Principles of dairy management by das ( not worth )
|I did not find any suitable material for this unit so the final refuge was BT tutorial notes.|
|Feeding during drought ,floods and other natural calamities||Pashudhan magazine.
|Question on this topic is a rule in civils examination. Prepare it well.|
|Classical Genetics(Mendelian genetics )
|Cell biology by Agarwal and Agarwal
Principles of Genetics by Gardener
Population genetics by D C Flaconer
Population genetics by
S S Tomar (2 volumes)
NOTE: Do not go for proof and derivation of H-W law including migration, mutation etc derivation . It will not be asked because it is lengthy and now the question are shorter.
You can also leave the heritability derivations.
Animal breeding by S S Tomar.
Introduction to practical animal breeding by Dalton
-A text book of extention by P Mathliagan.
-Current affairs and latest government schemes related to animal husbandry.
|Make short notes so that you revise it.
Make notes topic wise which are in syllabus.
Important topics to be covered
1. Qualitative and quantitative traits.
2. HW equilibrium and factors affecting the equilibrium
( Migration,Mutation and Selection.)
3. Partition of Variation.
4. Breeding value and its estimation.
This section is must and should be dealt in a serious way. Do not leave any topic mentioned in the syllabus .
One can fetch good marks in this section. Question like learning Methology , transfer of technology and schemes are common.
Paper -2 Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
2. Freezing microtome
5.Placentation ( vv imp)
7. Germ layers derivatives . No need for detailed Organogenesis.
|Anatomy||No need to cover. Rarely questions are asked.|
|I read my notes which I made in collage from good books . pharmacology is whole world so deal it with smart study.
|One has to make sure that making synopsis and structures on A4 size pages are quite helpful because if there is question like autacoids (200 words) or antimicrobials (200 words) it is very difficult to sum up. Be general in your approach. Read the important aspects. Do not go into depth.|
|Veterinary hygiene and housing||BT tutorials and veterinary epidemiology by Thapliyal.
A Text book of Animal Husbandry by G C Banerjee.
|Make diagrams of housing pattern.|
|Infectious disease ( medicine)||Any good book or collage notes will suffice.
One can use ICAR handbook for a quick revision
|Important diseases are
3. Rinderpest and PPR
6. Swine fever
10. Clostridia group
|Clinical Medicine.||Mareck manual
Blood and gay
( shortest possible notes, which can be revised quickly)
|Topics to be done
Principles of Immunization
A text book of Microbiology by Anantnarayan
1. Herd immunity
2. Zero disease concept.
Notes of these topics should be made from internet or help of your professors.
|Production /metabolic diseases.||Make your notes from books or collage notes are good.||This is most import unit. You should have a complete command over it.
Make structures of every disease so that you can revise it .
|General anesthesia and local anesthesia.||No need for lumb and jones.
Basics from ruminant surgery by Taygi
|-No need for details particularly in Regional blocks.
– No need for details of general anesthesia
|Surgery||Ruminant surgery by Tyagi||1. Fractures
5. Abomasal displacement
Role of animals and birds in transmission.
|Any good book.|
PSM by K Park
|Focus on definitions only.|
|Milk and milk product technology.||Su kumar sen or BT Tutorials.||Make flow diagrams of product manufacture.
This is most important section in paper 2 and one should work hard.
|Meat hygiene and technology ( including poultry )||B D Sharma ( 2 volumes)
IGNOU meat technology diploma notes which are actually made by Vikas Pathak sir.( skuast-jammu)
|Along with Milk , meat is most critical unit and should be prepared with serious approach.|