Topic – Indian Constitution
4) Discuss the essentials of the 69th Constitutional Amendment Act and anomalies, if any, that have led to current crisis between the elected representatives and the institution of the Lieutenant Governor in the administration of Delhi. Do you think that this will give rise to a new trend in the functioning of the Indian federal politics?(250 words)
Why this question
The recent political crisis in Delhi brings the focus back on 69th constitutional amendment, the causes of conflict between LG’s office, bureaucracy and the elected representatives. It also raises questions over the impact such a tussle would have on practice of federalism in India. The question has already been asked in UPSC mains and is important for this year too.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the reasons behind the tussle happening between the LG’s office, bureaucracy and the elected representatives and whether it is related to any anomalies in 69th constitutional amendment. In the second part of the question we have to examine the challenges that the present standoff in Delhi portends for the practice of federalism in India.
Discuss – Highlight whether there are any anomalies in 69th constitutional amendment act, and the reasons behind the present crisis in Delhi. Explore the linkage between the current reasons for the crisis and 69th CAA.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the current event that has led to this question.
- Explain 69th CAA – The 69th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1991 provided special status for Delhi by incorporating article 239 AA and 239 AB by providing for legislative assembly and and Council of Ministers. It made the following changes
- Highlight the controversy and the Delhi High courts judgment – The amendment does not provide Delhi with the recognition of a full fledged state. Some scholars have even called them as half States.
- Examine the causes behind the current controversy
- Analyze whether there would be any impact on federalism – you can provide your own view.
Conclusion – Mention that the constitution makers incorporated Federal provisions not only to facilitate the governance of India but also to accommodate diversity. The governments ought to come together in the spirit of cooperative federalism and give priority to the welfare of people and governance.