Topic – Technology missions
4) Discuss the dispute and legal progress on the Monsanto’s patent case? Examine Delhi HC’s decision’s impact on Indian agriculture?(250 words)
Why this question
The recent decision of the Delhi HC on Monsanto’s patent plea for Bt Cotton is a landmark decision whose details must be known to us. Also the impact of the decision is important to be studied.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to incorporate the following points in our answer.
- Discuss the details of the case highlighting the reason behind it, the judgment, the legal provisions involved etc
- Thereafter discuss the impact that the judgment will have on agriculture in general and seed availability in particular.
Discuss – Here you need to provide an in depth analysis of the case from the causes, verdict to the legal provisions involved.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the verdict of the case and mention that it needs to be analyzed to understand the implications
- Discuss the details of the case highlighting the reason behind it, the controversy related to higher pricing , the judgment, the legal provisions involved and the impact of the verdict on patent law in India.
- Highlight the impact that the verdict will have on India. Start off by pointing to the unfair patent practices that big seed companies like Monsanto utilize, but also highlight that seed technology in India needs to develop. Analyze how this verdict will impact that. Also examine the problems that it will cause for patent of India’s own gm seed.
Conclusion – Summarize your view and discuss what the next step of the government should be.