Topic– Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Human Resources.
5) India does not figure very high in terms of sporting achievement, but disproportionately high on athletes accused of doping. Examine why and discuss probable solutions to tackle the doping menace.(250 words)
Why this question
Close on the heels of the recently concluded Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast, Australia, where the Indian contingent got rapped for alleged violations of the “No Needle Policy”, the Athletics Federation of India (AFI) has reportedly decided to implement a similar policy. This provides an opportune moment to analyze why so many indian athletes are caught for doping and way of addressing this menace.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be incorporated in your answer
- The status quo of doping in India
- The causes behind the high incidents of doping
- How to deal with it – steps required to check doping
- Performance of Indian sports regulatory agencies in checking this menace
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Discuss – highlight the possible steps to address doping.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the case in commonwealth which has again brought focus on the issue
- Discuss the status quo of how many athletes caught and accused for doping
- Discuss the reasons behind the high number
- Discuss how sports regulatory agencies are tackling the issue
- Discuss what more should be done to address doping
Conclusion – discuss the way forward for ensuring that this issue is brought under control