If climate change is going to influence monsoon vigour and availability in coming years, the time to take action and make changes is now. Examine.
- May 29, 2018
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: INSIGHTS
TOPIC: changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) If climate change is going to influence monsoon vigour and availability in coming years, the time to take action and make changes is now. Examine.(250 words)
Why this question
As the monsoons approach, the horrors of the past few years, when climate change impacted the ability of monsoon to satiate India’s water needs, comes back to light. This is an important worry as droughts, lack of water for irrigation etc create huge economic and social losses. Hence this question
Key demand of the question
The question expects two broad explanations from us
- What is the impact of climate change on monsoons in particular and water availability in general
- What should be the steps to be taken for dealing with this situation
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . Apart from the key demands we have to analyze the steps taken so far and the effectiveness of those steps in dealing with water shortage on account of climate change.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – introduce your answer by explaining the linkage between climate change and monsoon as well as water availability.
- Examine the impact of this acute shortage each year that the monsoon fails. Bring out the impact by discussing it under heads like economic cost, social cost etc
- Examine the steps that have taken in dealing with this situation and effectiveness of these steps. Also bring out whether these are steps are more of the same usual steps being taken or whether these are chosen by analysing the problem and responding accordingly
- Mention the changes that are required in monsoon and water management to ensure that this annual uncertainty is best dealt with.
Conclusion – Mention that as anthropogenic factors start becoming more dominant, the time to prepare ourselves for adapting is now.