Topic: Structure, organization and functioning of the Judiciary
3) Indian judicial system needs several reforms. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
There have been several reforms undertaken in recent years to improve polity, economy etc, however no reform has been forthcoming on the functioning of judiciary. There are several issues that are faced by the judiciary and underlining those issues and the reforms required to address issues in Judiciary and discussing them is the need of the hour.
Key demand of the question
Following aspects are to be highlighted in your answer
- The issues faced by indian Judiciary which merits reform
- The impact if status quo persisted in Judiciary
- The reforms required
- Way forward for implementing these reforms
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. The issues mentioned above are to be discussed.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight some of the controversies in current news which indicate that judicial reforms are necessary.
- Analyze the issues plaguing judicary. Here discuss issues ranging from pendency of cases to appointment of judges to transparency in judicial functioning to Judicial standards and accountability bill etc
- Examine the impact that persistence of these issues have
- Mention the reforms required to improve the functioning of judicary. Discuss reforms under various heads in the same way that you would describe the issues
- Mention how can the reforms be implemented as in the way forward
Conclusion – Mention the need judicial reforms in a democracy for the smooth functioning of judiciary and how reforms should be implemented as soon as possible.