Topic: India and its bilateral relationship
4) New challenges confront India and Russia in their bilateral relationship which requires India to tread cautiously. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
With Modi’s visit to Sochi coming soon, a time to have a relook at the India Russia bilateral relationship is required. The relationship is passing through tumultuous times on account of the geopolitical changes taking place. It requires India to tread cautiously in how it deals with Russia, who has been a time tested partner of India. This question thus becomes important in preparing for India Russia relationship.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the following points
- What are the new challenges that confront India and Russia in their relationship going forward
- What impact would it have on the future of India Russia relationship and India’s overall foreign policy.
- How should India deal with these new challenges
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. The issues discussed above need to be brought out.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – The overall trend of India Russia relationship is to be brought out with special emphasis on the fact that India and Russia have been time tested partners so far, and the emerging divergences are a matter of concern.
- Discuss the new challenges confronting India and Russia in their bilateral relationship. Discuss it under heads like
- Geopolitical situation impacts – China factory, Pakistan factor, USA factor
- Geostrategic situation impacts – Similarity of interests in central Asia, Indo Pacific and alliances being formed there
- Economic challenges – India Russia trade not picking up
- Lack of people to people contacts
- Also discuss the strong points of the relationship such as nuclear and defence cooperation etc to show that the situation is not entirely bleak
- Discuss the impacts that the challenges would have on India Russia partnership going ahead and on India’s overall foreign policy
- Discuss in brief the need for India to maintain the balancing act.
Conclusion – Mention that the situation requires India to maintain relations with various stakeholders and how India should achieve this.