Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
3) President Trump’s JCPOA withdrawal creates new challenge for Indian diplomacy. Analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
Culling of the Iran deal from USA’s side puts India in a tough spot again. The nuclear deal and the impact that USA’s withdrawal will have to India needs to be analyzed in greater detail.
Key demand of the question
Following points need to be brought out in your answer
- What is the JCPOA deal
- Why is it in news currently
- What are the challenges that withdrawal from JCPOA pose for india
- How should India deal with those challenges
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention what is JCPOA and why is it news currently
- Discuss the challenges that USA’s withdrawal from the deal would have on India Iran relations, India USA relations, energy security, regional connectivity etc
- Discuss how should India deal with these challenges
Conclusion – mention the need for maintaining a policy of principled equidistance and the need for securing national interest. In that respect, Iran’s importance in Indian strategic and geopolitical objectives can not be overstated.