Topic – Salient features of world’s (including India) physical geography
2)The severity of air pollution over Northern India is primarily due to the inherent geographical disadvantages that the region faces. Critically examine.(250 words)
Why this question
The recent WHO report has brought into focus the problem of severe air pollution, particularly in North India. The first step in dealing with any problem is identification of the causes. Thus this question becomes important.
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be mentioned in your answer
- Detail out the severity of air pollution in India in general and over North India in particular
- Examine the causes behind air pollution over North India
- Analyze whether the causes are all due to geographical limitations that the region has or due to man made issues
- Mention in brief suggestions to address the situation
Critically examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Detail out the magnitude of the problem of air pollution with emphasis over the severity of the situation in North India.
- Examine the various causes
- Analyze whether the reason is on account of geographical disadvantages or man made reasons or a combination of the two
- Suggest some ways to mitigate this challenge
Conclusion – Provide your view based on arguments made.