Topic: Infrastructure: Energy
7)100% village electrification is a huge achievement but not sufficient to end India’s energy poverty. Discuss(250 words)
Why this question
100% village electrification is a huge milestone. India has been making rapid strides in the power sector with steps like UDAY, Saubhagya scheme etc. This historic milestone needs to be discussed in greater detail to appreciate how far we have come and how far we still have to go.
Key demand of the question
The question makes an assertion that despite 100% village electrification, the energy woes from India are not going to get over. Thus we have to first explain the significance of achieving 100% electrification and thereafter discuss the problems that still plague the energy sector in India. We should also discuss some way forward.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the huge challenge that was before India in connecting every village to the grid. Discuss Saubhagya scheme as a way out of this problem.
- Explain in detail the achievement of achieving 100% village electrification. How many villages have been connected and other such detail
- Explain the benefits of the move in brief
- Discuss the improvement in power he generation and distribution that made it possible
- Explain the other issues that lead to India’s energy poverty – continuous supply of affordable electricity, cooking fuel etc – discuss how they contribute to energy poverty
- Discuss why these problems persist, what needs to be done for resolving this problem
Conclusion – Emphasize that many more miles are yet to be covered and discuss way forward