TOPIC: The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors
/contributions from different parts of the country.
1) Quit India Movement was the most different from all Gandhian mass movements. Critically analyze.(250 words)
From Plassey to Partition, Pg 414
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to analyze the strategies followed in quit India movement and analyze whether they were in line with the principles espoused by Mahatma Gandhi, whether the clarion call of Do or Die was in accordance with Gandhian principle of non violence etc.
Critically analyze – Here we have to bring out the distinguishing features of quit India movement, the various principles espoused by Gandhi and analyze whether the movement was in line with those principles. The question expects us to provide our view on the assertion made in the question at the end.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Give a brief background of quit India movement – last mass movement for independence, call of Do or Die given by gandhi, World war 2 had heightened fears and sensitivities.
- Examine the direction to the movement given by gandhi.
- Disciplined anarchy vs complete lawlessness
- Freedom to regional movements to take control
- Difference evident from NCM where Chauri Chaura led to termination of movements but in QIM, no such directive by Gandhi
- Examine the key features of QIM which made it distinctive
- Examine whether QIM was really different from other mass movements
- Mention that gandhi ji was a very smart tactician who knew how to galvanize people. Earlier he was trying to take the freedom struggle to masses, now that popular sentiment was with him, he wanted to make a final push for independence. War of position vs ear of manoeuvre of Gandhi
Conclusion – summarise your arguments and present your view