Topic: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
5)Examine the advantages of and issues involved in creation of DNA database for India? (250 words)
Why this question
Creation of a DNA database has several advantages but raises several issues as well. The government has been making efforts in making a law on the subject with the DNA profiling Bill. DNA technology has also progressed a lot in recent years. All this has made it imperative for us to examine the issues and advantages in detail.
Key demand of the question
The advantages of DNA profiling has to be brought about. Thereafter the various issues that it raises like – civil liberties, efficiency in solving crimes, database management, issues with the technology etc need to be brought out.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – bring out the fact that DNA profiling is increasingly being used as a means of tackling crime and India is also making efforts to regulate DNA profiling.
- Explain how DNA profiling or creation of DNA database works
- Explain the advantages of doing so
- Examine the issues from various perspectives as discussed above.
- Highlight the experiences of other countries and the lessons we can draw from them
- Examine the impact if these issues are not addressed through a suitable legislation
- Mention some ways to deal with this in light of SC judgement in K puttaswamy case etc
Conclusion – Mention the immense scope of these technologies but at the same time the need for an effective regulation.