Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
6)Examine the reasons behind acute groundwater shortage in India and suggest steps to deal with the situation?(250 words)
Why this question
Groundwater is a critical resource whose sound management is absolutely necessary. Various reports have pointed out the alarming drop in groundwater levels across the country. The issue compels us to examine the root cause behind this shortage and suggest steps to deal with the issue
Key demand of the question
Following points are to be highlighted in the answer
- Paint the picture of acute shortage of groundwater in the country
- Probe deeper into the various factors that have led to this crisis
- Ways to deal with the crisis
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight studies that point towards the rapidly declining groundwater level in the country which forces us to examine this issue in greater detail.
- The problem of groundwater shortage in India is to be highlighted. Take cues from the down to earth article
- Examine the reasons behind groundwater shortage under various heads – policy lacunae, overexploitation, lack of legal provisions, indiscriminate pollution etc
- Suggest ways to deal with the crisis. Quote from research articles, policy strengthening, legal provisions like groundwater management bill etc
Conclusion – Re-emphasize on the importance of groundwater as a natural resource and the necessity to manage it well for our own good – keeping into account the growing water crisis.