Topic – changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
5)Reforming labour laws and achieving greater flexibility in their implementation can greatly help enhance the ease of doing business. Critically examine the labour reforms undertaken and proposed by the government in this light.(250 words)
Why this question
Improving Ease of Doing Business is a major focus of the government. Labour reforms are an essential reform agenda pending since long considering the political sensitivity of the issue. In this light, the proposed labour reforms need to be discussed and examined whether they would help in facilitating business.
Key demand of the question
The question asks us to critically examine whether the proposed labour reforms would help achieve the purpose mentioned in the question. Thus the following points need to be discussed.
- The contents of the proposed reforms
- The pros and cons of the reforms
- The labour reforms required to improve EODB
Critically examine – Here one has to examine the various labour reform measures undertaken by the government to see whether they help improve EODB. Since critically is prefixed, we also have to provide our opinion on the issue and mention a way forward.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the importance of labour reforms and the attempts of the government to bring a minimum wage code.
- Discuss the various steps taken by the government which can be categorised as labour reforms – wage code bill, amended the Industrial Establishment (Standing Order) 1946, amendments in Contract Labour Act and the Factories Act etc
- Examine the reforms to figure out whether or not they will facilitate business. You may also mention other benefits or harms of the steps.
- Provide your opinion
Conclusion – Mention the importance of bringing in comprehensive labour reforms and suggest how to go about it broadly.