TOPIC:Salient features of Indian Society
1)Despite affirmative action policies, caste consciousness is a part of everyday lives of Indians. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
Recently, there are have been a lot of agitations by certain sections particularly dalits. SC has also given a judgment that has polarized opinions. Reservation is an ongoing issue that continues to divide sections of Indian population. This it’s important to analyze whether we have managed to get rid of our casteist mindset.
Key demand of the question
Following issues have to be discussed in this question
- The policies which are being talked about
- The impact of those policies in the context being asked in the question
- Whether those policies have accentuated or motivated caste discrimination
- The levels of discrimination faced on the basis of caste
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When you are asked to analyze, you have to examine each part of the problem which in this case is caste identity is still strong despite affirmative action policies.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Mention the nature of society in India where caste identities have been strong right since the beginning.
- The policies of the government and the provisions of the constitution that would come under the category of affirmative action like reservation of seats in education, employment etc, FR against discrimination, constant review by govt etc
- Whether these policies have made the dent expected of them. Discuss under various heads like constitutionally, legally, economically. We have to examine whether discrimination or reverse discrimination happens as a result of these heads
- Whether reservation has polarized public opinion and made caste identity stronger
- Whether laws protecting dalits have been misused
- Examine the levels of discrimination faced by the dalits in economic, social etc fields.
Conclusion – mention the goal of an egalitarian society and how we can move towards it.