TOPIC: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- May 2, 2018
- Posted by: InsightsIAS
- Category: INSIGHTS
TOPIC: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the
present- significant events, personalities, issues.
1) Gandhi’s decision to withdraw from Civil Disobedience Movement and participate in second round table conference was controversial. Examine the controversies that arose as a result of Delhi Pact?(250 words)
From Plassey to Partition : page 320
Key demand of the question
The question asks us to examine the controversies that emerged out of Gandhi Irwin Pact. We have to mention the controversies, examine the causes of the controversies and assess whether the controversies made sense
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any . In the case of above question, you have to discuss the issues as discussed above.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss the contents of the Delhi pact and mention the controversies that it caused such as
- Decision to withdraw was taken under bourgeoisie pressures
- Several leaders like Nehru, Bose etc were dissatisfied with the decision to withdraw the movement
- Examine the controversies one by one. First of all, examine the claim that the decision to withdraw was taken under bourgeoisie pressures.
- Mention the reason why this controversy arose
- Examine whether the capitalist class presented a unified front and whether Congress was actually concerned with their worries
- Examine the controversy that Congress’s withdrawal signalled defeat
- Mention that similar things had happened post chauri chairs
- Mention that people’s capacity for protest is limited
- Mention the use of superior force by British
- Highlight the actual impact and significance of Delhi pact and the reasons behind aggreing to participate in RTC
Conclusion – mention your point of view on Delhi pact by summarising your answer.