TOPIC: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure ; Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
3)The latest recommendations by the European Commission that balances free speech and accountability on online medium should serve as a model for India to reform how it regulates online communication. Analyze.(250 words)
Why this question
There are several problems that have dropped up due to deeper penetration of digital technology such as fake news, privacy, online crimes etc. Presently the government is reacting rather than dealing with these issues in a holistic manner. Thus policy reforms and legal reforms required need to be discussed. The EX report provides a good model which can be utilised in other answers as well.
Key demand of the question
Following are the issues that need to be discussed in the question:
- Issues faced on account of problems in regulating online communication
- The present regulatory structure in India
- The reforms suggested by EC
- The reforms which are applicable to India and how will it help in solving the unique problems that India faces
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – discuss the various high profile cases in India and abroad like Cambridge analytica which has necessitated brainstorming over regulations.
- Mention the issues faced currently such as cyber bullying, defamation, incitement to violence etc (now repealed section 66A), Section 69A of IT Act, poor understanding of the technology etc
- Detail out the present regulatory structure – mention the salient features of IT Act , mention how we try to deal with emergency situations by shutting down internet etc
- List down the reforms suggested by EC which you feel are relevant for India and discuss how it will help improve status quo
Conclusion – Summarise your answer and suggest a way forward – like the reforms required in IT Act and how we need to come out with a policy document etc